Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Guitar adventure

Well, I had my first guitar lesson yesterday evening and I survived! I got my guitar strung in the afternoon and drove around to find out where the class was. Good thing I did because finding it in the dark would have been a challenge. The adult ed program has rented the common room of a new 55+ condo community which is just 25% sold. It was on the second floor of the complex and not well marked.

There were 7 students in the class - 6 women and 1 man - all younger than I. Four had taken guitar lessons before and 3 of us are novices. We spent the first part of the class meeting and greeting then learning to tune our guitars. Five people had electronic tuners and 2 of us had none! Made for interesting sounds. We shared with the haves but I didn't understand how the thing worked so my guitar was horribly out of tune for the remainder of the class. We learned to play the G and C chords by the end of the class or what was supposed to be those chords. I picked up my own tuner today and will practice with it tomorrow.

On my walk around the neighborhood this afternoon I couldn't resist taking a couple of pictures. The first is a picture of the sky filled with contrails. I believe we are on the flight path between SF and LA so we get contrails all over the place and today the sky was beautiful.

I also passed this house that had beautiful blooming succulents. They had a wide variety of these at the Leaning Pines Arboretum that Jane and Dan visited with us in SLO while they were here. These were blooming just down the street. They are truly amazing.

No comments: