Wednesday, July 23, 2008

California Mid- State Fair and the Mozaic Festival

The California Mid-State Fair starts today and runs through August 3. T and I are deciding if we want to go to see what a California state fair is like and if so when. The fair is being held in Paso Robles. It's a pretty big deal. I'm not sure if it's as big as the Big E but from all the descriptions it's large. They have attracted some music acts some of whom I'm familiar with and others I've never heard of. Here's a sampling of some of the acts performing: Stone Temple Pilots, Toby Keith, Rascal Flatts, Godsmack, Stevie Nicks, Bangles, Rod Steward, John Mayer, Boz Scaggs, Hoobastanks and Chubby Checker. We haven't been to Paso since we moved west. Paso in the summer time can be very hot and it's predicted to be in the low 100s for the next week. I'm not a big one for large crowds or your typical "fair" activities or hot temperatures, but I am a believer in seeing things for yourself at least once if possible (especially if it's relatively convenient). Paso is only 50 miles from us so it's relatively convenient. So I guess we'll watch the weather reports and go the next day it's expected to be a little cooler.

The Mozaic Festival is also in SLO from July 13 to the 27. It used to be called the Mozart festival but organizers changed its name to the Mozaic Festival this year because it now offers more than just Mozart. The name change was intended to try to attract a more diverse audience by not limiting its audience to "Mozart" people only. The festival has expanded over the last 40 years to different venues and music from Mozart to many other composers and modern music as well.

No comments: