This is our first 4th of July in California. T is still not up for celebrating. There are a couple of parties we've been invited to. One is at the park in our development. The people who own golf carts decorate them and there is a cart parade which leads the people up to the park for a barbeque. There is a $10 charge for the barbeque and the chef and staff at the Pavilion (the banquet/catering/conference center) prepares and serves the meal. The new restroom facility is complete just in time. The weather is supposed to be nice July 4th weather - sunny and warm for these parts - high 70s to low 80s. Then cousins P&S hold their annual bash for their neighbors and friends. They provide the hamburgers and hotdogs and everyone is assigned a hors d'oeuvre, salad or dessert to bring along. We were assigned a dessert. I made lemon squares and lime squares from P&S's lemon and lime trees. The lemons are Meyers lemons and very sweet. The limes are Key limes. I've never made lime squares before but they say Key limes are the best.
The big concern around here is the fires. The new fire - called the Gap fire -near Santa Barbara started on Wednesday and has already burned nearly 10,000 acres. It has become the top priority fire because there is so much property and population near it. Many of the communities are under mandatory evacuation. Yesterday there was some ash in the village.
The temperatures were crazy yesterday. A woman at the grocery store told me it was over 100 degrees at her house in one of the canyons not far north east of town. When I got in my car at the store the temperature read 91. The closer I got to the shore it dropped pretty consistently til it reached 77 degrees when I drove into my driveway. This certainly is a great microclimate example. Because we are near the shore and often have a sea breeze we haven't had as much of the smoke and ash as other parts but we are watching. The smoke has created amazing sunsets. Here is an example although not a great representation because I took it with my phone!
The temperatures were crazy yesterday. A woman at the grocery store told me it was over 100 degrees at her house in one of the canyons not far north east of town. When I got in my car at the store the temperature read 91. The closer I got to the shore it dropped pretty consistently til it reached 77 degrees when I drove into my driveway. This certainly is a great microclimate example. Because we are near the shore and often have a sea breeze we haven't had as much of the smoke and ash as other parts but we are watching. The smoke has created amazing sunsets. Here is an example although not a great representation because I took it with my phone!
No comments:
Post a Comment