Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Fire on the Mesa

I was listening to the news yesterday afternoon and there was a story about a fire at a grocery store in the south county. Next thing I hear it's on the mesa. Here's the story in today's paper:
"Nipomo Mesa market fire causes $10,000 damage
A fire caused nearly $10,000 worth of damage at JJ’s Market off Highway 1 and Halcyon Road on the Nipomo Mesa, according to County/Cal Fire.
A passerby reported seeing smoke coming from the building at 2792 S. Halcyon Road about 1 p.m. The fire was put out 30 minutes later, according to Cal Fire.
The building’s exterior and some parts of the attic were damaged, according to Cal Fire. The market was evacuated while firefighters put out the blaze, but the store reopened later in the afternoon.
— P. Kim Bui"

I had to buy milk so I went down to JJ's Market around 6:30PM and everything was back to normal - no smell of smoke. The workers said you could still smell it in the back of the store, but the large fans cleared it out. The building is only a few years old and was up to fire safety codes which saved it from worse damage. There were 3 fires in Santa Maria on the same day over the weekend which were arsons. They are investigating whether this one may be related.

No comments: