Wednesday evening St. Barnabas hosted the community Thanksgiving service with a gathering of 5 churches - St. Peter's (Catholic), United Methodist, St. John's Lutheran, Grace Korean Church and St. Barnabas. I volunteered to help with the reception - setting up, accepting food contributions, replenishing and clean-up. There were over 200 people at the service (fewer than in past years because it was raining). It was great to hear the different clergy give short homilies on a scripture reading and to hear their different styles.
Thursday T and I went to SLO to spend Thanksgiving with cousin K and C and Aunt L and caregiver. K deboned and stuffed a duck. There were lots of vegetables, Chinese noodles, sticky rice stuffing and a carrot souffle (recipe I got from a new friend who got the recipe from a famous New Orleans restaurant. She's from New Orleans). I made a pumpkin and chocolate chip cake with pecans and a maple syrup frosting.
Today was a typical Friday. The weather has cleared and it was a beautifully warm and sunny day. T and I got right back into our workout routines and then I went to work at the Thrift store. Many customers loaded up on Christmas items that are in the store. It was "bag day" where the shop rotates its stock on the last Friday of the month. All clothing can be bought for $4 a bag. It's a popular day. After we close on that Friday we pack everything up and send it to a thrift store in Santa Maria. The racks are restocked Saturday morning with new inventory. It was a pretty big day for a bag day with over $300 in sales. Many people came in after they hit the Walmarts, Kmarts etc.
No comments:
Post a Comment