Thursday, April 16, 2009

Chocolate dipped macaroons


I had some egg whites left over from Easter dinner after making fettuccine Alfredo. We like to have a small sweet treat after dinner so I dug out my recipe for chocolate dipped macaroons. The recipe made 33 cookies so I shared a few with my friends R and D down the street and will take a few to the Thrift store tomorrow afternoon. These macaroons are really easy to make and are really decadent. Here's the recipe:

Chocolate Dipped Coconut Macaroons
2 2/3 cup flaked coconut, firmly packed
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup unbleached flour
4 egg whites, unbeaten
1 cup sliced almonds
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
8 to 10 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Combine coconut, sugar and flour. Stir in egg whites, almonds, vanilla and almond extract. (I refrigerate the mixture for about 45 minutes to let it set up just a little. It is pretty runny without the refrigeration and still pretty loose with refrigeration.) I use the small ice cream scoop to form balls but you can use a rounded tablespoon and place 2 inches apart on lightly greased cookie sheets (I use parchment paper and it works out fine). Bake 20 to 25 minutes until golden. Watch carefully as the almonds and coconut can burn quickly. Peel off the parchment paper when cooled.

For chocolate edge: Melt chocolate in double boiler, stirring until two-thirds melted; remove from heat and continue stirring until completely melted. Dip one edge of each cookie into chocolate and set on waxed paper to allow chocolate to set.
Makes about between 30 and 36 macaroons. Yum!

No comments: