Tuesday, September 30, 2008

What's the buzz?

I find it interesting to listen to what is on people's minds. The fitness center is a great place to listen in on the topics of the day. This morning the talk was about a number of people's tales of recent vacations, how much money various people have lost in the recent turbulent times, the failed bail out plan,the vice-presidential debate, Sunday night's Desparate Housewives season opener and Dancing with the Stars. Everywhere I go I find people are a lot more willing to share things about themselves than I would ever be. At social gatherings people share details about portfolio losses, hygiene habits, political persuasions, details of the children's lives and choices in everything from food to movies. It's fun to throw out a topic and listen to what people want to contribute. Most of the area is pretty liberal and democrat but there are pockets of conservative, Christian right wing folks mixed in. There is a new group of liberal women who are meeting monthly because they say they feel uncomfortable espousing their liberal views.

There is a California wide vote on disallowing gay marriage. The lines are drawn and there doesn't appear to be a middle ground.

No comments: