Thursday, September 18, 2008

Back from East Coast

The last week has been pretty busy in many respects. Hurricane Ike came through Houston and my nephew, T, was hunkered down in his house to ride out the hurricane. They lost power and water. Now nearly a week later, they are still without power but he went back to work because they had back up power at the office. K had to ride out the rising Chicago rivers and flooding. The evacuations were ordered for people just 3 blocks north of her condo. She survived and says things are drying out.

In Hartford things are pretty much the same as the last time I was there in May. The different seasons - spring versus early fall bring a different color palette. The leaves are starting to change color and there is still some warmth and humidity. We had the whole array of weather from heavy rains Saturday night to warm and sticky on Monday, glorious and crisp on Tuesday.

The many people I was able to touch base with welcomed me warmly and even though I was only able to talk to each person for a few minutes, people were very efficient in imparting critical information. I was sorry not to be able to see everyone on my list. My schedule was pretty jampacked and I didn't make it out to Vernon to see A, A and I.

A Hand Up's annual meeting went off very smoothly and we are ready for the next year.

Every meal was accounted for and J and I must have walked a marathon in 3 days!

No comments: