Tuesday, September 23, 2008

St. John's Lutheran Church

I tried a different church on Sunday. The local Lutheran church, St. John's (http://www.saintjohnsag.com/), is of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (not the Missouri Synod). I've been struggling with the Episcopal Church service at St. Barnabas. The important part of going to church for me is hearing the message. I can worship on my own, and I can perform my outreach ministries on my own but I really need to hear the message and that's why I go to church. St. Barnabas is an Episcopal church and therefore it has all the comforts of the familiar liturgy but also the drawbacks of many Episcopal churches in that they are slow to warm up. There is one minister and her preaching style often doesn't work well for me.

The 8:30 service at St. John's had about 140 people. Unlike other churches I have attended, the early service is the primary service and when the young families attend. The music was provided by a 4 piece folk band. The music was contemporary and lively. The gospel was the parable from Matthew 20:16 - So the last will be first, and the first will be last. The Reverend Randy Ouimette gave the sermon and his delivery was crisp, with a few notes, and delivered standing just inside the sanctuary. I could relate to his interpretation and found the service different but enjoyable. The 10:40 service is a more traditional service with organ and choir and has about 80 parishioners on an average Sunday.

The congregation was very warm and inviting. The minister's wife buttonholed me in the parking lot and the greeters at the door were good about getting me to put on a name tag and sign the guest book. They had a gift prepared for me if I wanted (a jar of home made bread mix). I received calls from a parishioner and the pastor on Monday evening. They both said that they are not about "stealing" members from other churches but I was welcome to come back any time, and I think I will go back from time to time.

No comments: