Sunday, August 26, 2012
Volunteering for foster kids
Today D, L and I volunteered at the annual Family Care Network (http://www.fcni.org)fundraiser. D has done this for 3 years and got the rest of us involved. FCN does an awful lot for foster children in the county. The venue used to be here at Cypress Ridge at the Pavilion. They told us that because the lease holder didn't get back to them they found another place. Last year the Pavilion discontinued their long time arrangement with the caterer. It is owned by the developer and they decided to run the Pavilion on their own. They rent the space separately and offer a number of names of local caterers who will work with parties to put on parties using the Pavilion. They have done a number of catered events this year - I don't think anywhere near the level in the past.
The new venue was at another golf/living community called Trilogy in Nipomo. I think the space was much better for this event. The indoor space was much larger, comfortably seating 220 inside and another 30 plus outside. I don't know how much they had to pay for the space.
D, L and I were put in charge of getting the dining room set up - designing the layout for 15 10-person tables and 12 8-person tables. We got an ever changing stream of volunteers to help with folding napkins, roll out tables, put tablecloths on, wash wine glasses and set the tables. We worked steadily from about 10:15 to 12:30. They provided subway sandwiches and when they arrived almost all our younger helpers vanished as they were famished - naturally. We worked through as we were going to have a sit down lunch together.
We had a great lunch at the little bistro in their community building and were home a little after 2.
I then set to work getting ready for the senior luncheon tomorrow. Just finished making homemade brownies for 60. They don't look as good as the ones from the box but I know what's in them. Onto the meatballs for spaghetti and meatballs!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment