The week really flew by. On Sunday the Family Care Network, a non-profit that provides service to families and foster children held a fund raiser at the Pavilion in our neighborhood. Three of my friends and I volunteered to help with the set up for the 300 plus guests who came. This entailed setting up the tables for the diners and the various auction items. The event was called the Taste of the Central Coast and there were many restaurants and wineries from around the area who were here to present their food and wines. I hear the event was a great success bringing in almost as much as in past years. The economy is really hitting these non-profits here just like back east. We were so speedy with the set ups that we finished way before what was scheduled and the four of us had a leisurely lunch at the Grill before heading home.
Then there are the various telephone company interactions that I dealt with since I last wrote. First my cellphone died and yes it died about 4 months ago. The last time I had 1 to 2 weeks left on my warranty. They replaced the phone and gave me an additional 3 months warranty. The replacements are usually refurbished phones so you guessed it, 1 month after this warranty runs out so does the phone! I went to Verizon and got a new phone with android system. The battery in the new phone was running down quickly so I went on line to check out the manual. Phones no longer come with manuals! They say they are trying to save trees. The on line manual was over 300 pages long. I looked up ways to conserve battery juice and must have hit one too many buttons as I killed the market place where you can get the apps. I checked out the manual again but this time it was no help. I went back to the store and those techs really know their phones. Bada bing it was all set!
Then came the AT&T saga. A couple of months ago AT&T accidentally cut off our service when a new neighbor was moving in and gave them our address instead of theirs. AT&T had to terminate our old account and start another and in the process they changed the plans we were on, of course. Ever since I have been trying to get them to give us back our plan of free local and a couple of hundred minutes of long distance. After another 1 1/2 hours on the phone with them I'm hoping that maybe they fixed it. Fingers crossed.
Then on Wednesday the sink/faucet sprang a leak. The good news is that the original faucet was a pretty expensive one but the bad news is that the part that needed to be replaced costs over $60. We are having the kitchen redone in a couple of months so it made more sense to buy an inexpensive faucet to hold us until then. Even that one cost $40! I figure we can donate it to the Habitat for Humanity parts program in a couple of months. Even kept the box :)
Wednesday we had the pleasure of attending a wonderful "parlor concert" at a neighbor's house. The performers were Inga Sweringen, a local musician and Elio Villafranca, a jazz pianist from Cuba. Awesome performance. Here are links to their websites.
http://www.ingaswearingen.com/
http://www.eliovillafranca.net/
No comments:
Post a Comment