Sunday, September 4, 2011

A football party

Yesterday we were invited to a football party - a chance to catch up with friends where the main activity was watching the LSU v Oregon football game. I'm not much of a football fan but it's always fun to get together with friends. The hosts are from Louisiana and are huge LSU fans. Well both teams had many pre-game infractions with many key players suspended for various illegal activities. So although both teams are fairly highly ranked they were without many of the starters. I offered to bring something to the party, as is the custom here. They asked me to make a dessert. I made my Rosemary's Ding Dong cake, named after the hostess ding dong treats I remember from my college days, because it looks like a gigantic ding dong until you decorate it. I shaved some chocolate curls to put on top and created a ribbon with the LSU school colors to wrap around it. The game was a hit and so was the cake They liked its ribbon with the school colors (purple and gold) and they liked the cake - chocolate cake with marzipan cream filling and a ganache frosting - yum! Someone said it was the best cake he'd ever eaten - I think he was angling for a cake for his birthday :) LSU won big time 40 to 27.

No comments: