Tuesday, January 6, 2009

On knitting

My next door neighbor's daughter, J, has just finished all her college requirements and graduates at the end of January. Her mother mentioned one day that she has always wanted to learn how to knit. A couple of year ago the mother gave everyone in the family a little knitting kit but no one has knit anything. Well, I volunteered to teach J how to knit.

I have been knitting for over 50 years and have taught a number of people how to knit. I thought I would just look up on the 'net for their tips on how to knit. After 50 years of knitting I discovered that there are 8 ways of casting on!

The long tail, the thumb method (this is the one I normally use), single cast on (also know as backward loop), cable cast on, knitting-on, Norwegian cast on, invisible cast on (also known as looped cast on) and the alternate cable cast on! http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/cast-on

No comments: