Thursday, January 21, 2010

Finally a walk outdoors

Today was day 4 of the El Niño rain event hammering the central coast and southern California. We've had heavy rain, hail, high winds, flooding, mud slides, possible tornadoes and today a little peak of the sun. I haven't been able to walk outdoors for the last 3 days not so much because of the rain, but because of the high winds and the possibility of falling branches.

Today I tracked the radar carefully and was able to sneak in a 6 mile walk and was able to check out what the storms have wrought so far.
There were a number of areas that are flooded with some erosion. The ground on the mesa is sand and it doesn't take much to start the erosion. In the next picture you can see the measures the construction team took to try to prevent it on a couple of the new building sites in the area.


Up at the Arc Park in our development we lost 4 trees. The root systems are pretty shallow and narrow and the high winds just toppled these over. The crews were out while I was there starting the clean up.

On the 6th hole (I think) there is a new water hazard for golfers to hit over.

It was wonderful to walk outside. The air was very clean and fragrant with eucalyptus, cypress, rosemary, lavender and other wonderful sniffs.

No comments: