When I arrived for my shift at the Thrift Shop I was informed that the manager was having surgery on her elbow. She had called me the night before to tell me her elbow was very inflamed and she was going to the doctor the next morning. Turns out the doctor decided she needed surgery immediately and she checked right into the hospital. She had a staph infection in the bursa and they removed the infection and put her on IV antibiotics. She'll be in the hospital for a couple of days. In the meantime when she was gone the crew managed to give the place a thorough cleaning.
Meanwhile, another of the volunteers was telling me of her escapade the previous night. She had driven round trip to LA to visit a sick friend. She was very tired and went to bed early. In the night she made a trip to the bathroom and upon returning to bed, she missed the bed when she thought she was getting back into bed and fell on the floor onto her elbow. She got herself up and put herself back in bed and in the morning her bed was covered in blood. She couldn't see her elbow too well but cleaned it up and put a couple of bandages on the it and came to the shop. I asked if I could look at her elbow just to make sure it was okay. She finally agreed and when I looked at it, it was a gaping wound and still bleeding. I packed her off to the doctor where they cleaned it properly and started her on antibiotics. They said that since it was more than 12 hours since she cut it that stitching it wouldn't do any good and that it would have to heal on its own. Never heard of such a thing but there you go....
Anyway both elbows appear to be on the mend.
No comments:
Post a Comment