Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The joys of getting older....

Seems like it's been doctor's visit time for me of late. I finally got in to see a new opthamologist, a doctor that cousin P recommended. She specializes in glaucoma and macular degeneration, both conditions his mother had. She was very thorough and was much better at explaining what is going on in my eyes. Apparently I have very normal conditions for someone of my age! Don't you just love that! The vitreous detachment in my right eye has progressed very well and my left eye has started right on cue between 2 and 3 years after the first eye. Nice to be normal. At least the left eye doesn't have flashing lights like the right eye. Apparently the aqueous humor shrinks in everyone's eyes once you're in your 60s but many people don't have any signs - floaters, flashers etc. Also I have cataracts in both eyes which apparently most people will develop once they are in their 60s but how they progress varies from person to person....isn't it great to be getting older!

Then I went to my internist because I was having difficulty breathing. She checked oxygen levels, chest sounds, fever, bp, pulse rates etc. I guess I'm healthy as a horse but the allergies are giving me breathing difficulties. She prescribed an inhaler that I've used twice now and it's like magic! I guess the particulates from the fires may be the culprit.

1 comment:

chinnb said...

I had the vitreous detachment last year in CT. Scary at first and then just weird. I remember when I took the dog out late at night it felt like I was next door to a used car lot--flashes everywhere. And then it ceased.