Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Toiletry bags

Our church puts together toiletry kits for the homeless. After 5 years they are closing in on 1,000 bags. They make cloth bags with drawstrings and each bag has a toothbrush, toothpaste, a travel size shampoo/conditioner, a large bar or a bunch of little bars of soap, a hand towel and a wash cloth, a small size lotion, a deodorant, pack of tissue, a comb, a set of clippers, a razor for a man's bag or a shower cap for a woman's bag and a prayer sheet from the church. They are distributed through the Community Health Center in town to clients they know are homeless. The bags are made so they can be tied to the handle bars of a bike as most travel around by bicycle. It reminds me of my toiletry basket project every Mother's day and Christmas where I put together over 300 baskets twice a year. Perhaps it's more like the sock program St. J does every Thanksgiving. Today we stuffed 52 bags before we ran out of stuffing to complete the process. Usually I sew bags for the project making between 20 and 40 bags each time. This time I sewed 38 bags. I was also able to help with the stuffing process this time around.

No comments: