Saturday, July 27, 2013

The last month and a half

When I left off last posting, it was our 41st wedding anniversary. Interestingly, we still know where most of these people are! Later that day I tried a new recipe for chocolate ganache mini macaroons - yummy - I've made them again a couple of times!
Brother M and sister-in-law O came for a visit. They had been vacationing at the Grand Canyon and when they got back to Las Vegas, they rented a car and drove here for a few days arriving on M's birthday. Made chocolate peanut butter cake that served as dessert for 2 dinners and all the lunches! I guess they liked it.
We took a trip to Solvang, visited the emu farm, had dinner with the cousins. It was a great visit. They came with me for a couple of days to the new free lunch program for the children in Nipomo. In conjunction with the Food Bank, we gave lunches to about 110 kids for seven weeks. M and O arrived during the first week and I was getting all the teams set up so they came along. O and I worked out at our little gym every day before we headed out for the day's activities. Their last evening the cousins came for dinner and we had a great time catching up.
After not making bread pudding for nearly 6 years, I made two pans of it for one of the church's fellowship hours. They church has started asking each of the committees and groups to host a Sunday's fellowship hour. This is when being involved in a number of committees is not a good thing. Anyway, the bread pudding was just as popular as it was when I made it at St. James's for Loaves and Fishes. I think they are still making it once a month for the feeding program there. On June 22, we had a blackout with almost the entire county and parts of Santa Barbara county losing power for a couple of hours. We were lucky as it came back early on. There was no real reason given for the outages unlike on the east coast when outages are often caused by some kind of storm. Fortunately it's mild here and we didn't have to cope with heat problems. I was cooking for the senior luncheon the next day and was a little concerned it wouldn't come back on in time to cook. We had a comfort food meal planned - macaroni and cheese, baked ham, salad and home made brownies.
In the middle of July the Golf Course erected this enormous tent which looks semi permanent. They often need space to host events associated with golf tournaments and sometimes the Pavilion is already booked for another event. This gives them an alternative site.
July 16 there was a fire in Oceano on the dunes. This is only about 2 miles from our place. We heard helicopters flying back and forth all afternoon and wondered where they were getting water. Turns out they were getting it from our little lake. I hope they know that the water is recycled water from the homes and golf course used to water the golf course. Our development agreed to recycle all waste water from the development. It goes through a water treatment plant on the grounds and then runs through 4 different lakes along the way.
That's about it for this posting.

No comments: