Monday, February 20, 2012

Dryer update

As promised the guy from the appliance repair place returned with the parts he ordered - 2 rollers (like on a roller blade) and a pulley. He took the dryer apart - it only took him about 30 minutes to take it all apart, replace the 3 things and reassemble. I thought that was pretty impressive. He tested the dryer to see if it made any noise - no thumping and clanking. It actually hasn't done it since the last time he came! So I guess I'll call the dryer fixed.

Today I had made arrangements with a chimney cleaning company to check out the dryer vent. I've been hearing that many home fires start in the dryer vent because lint builds up and can catch on fire. We haven't cleaned the vent since we bought the house. There is about a 6 to 7 foot run from the dryer to the exterior wall. It appears that out here the people who do the cleaning are the chimney cleaner people. He did an air flow test before and said it was 1600 somethings which he said was pretty good. He asked if I still wanted it cleaned and I said of course. So he got out a chimney type cleaning brush on a metal pole. He attached more poles until it was an appropriate length. He attached the pole to a hand drill and ran the brush back and forth through the dryer vent. Took about 10 minutes and he pulled out lots of grey dryer fluff. He tested the air flow again and now it read 2200 somethings - whatever that is. Anyway from the looks of the lint, I'm glad we had it cleaned. One more thing off my list!

No comments: