Saturday, September 11, 2010

Another wedding and other things

Over labor day I flew to Chicago for the second bookend of summer weddings. The first one was the eldest daughter of my younger brother and it was over Memorial Day weekend and this was the second daughter of the same brother and it was over labor day. This time I managed to see almost all the family members. The wedding was another international affair. The first wedding was a Chinese/Cuban one and this was a Chinese/Filipino one. Both weddings were beautifully executed and enjoyable to attend. The food was excellent at both weddings - both were held at Italian restaurants. I like the new tradition of not "wasting" all that money on a wedding cake and just having one for display. The weddings were very unique and beautiful.

Flying is certainly nothing to write home about these days. You have to pay to check your luggage, pay for food, pray you get the seat you selected, pray your bag fits under your seat as the over head bins are chock full and the seats are so tight that there's almost no leg room let alone a place to put your carry-on! Then there is the issue of the traveling morbidly obese. There were 6 MOs on my flight from Chicago to Phoenix. One sat right next to me. I cut him some slack because he had a prosthetic leg. My seats were changed on me for both legs of my journey home. Perhaps because I couldn't check in ahead of time. So I was stuck in the middle on the leg to Phoenix and at the back of the plane for the ride to SLO. The AC was not working properly on the flight to SLO so we left Phoenix at 110 degrees with little air and by the time we reached SLO we were still pretty hot and most of us were pretty sweaty!

While in Chicago I walked around K's neighborhood and was entertained by the ever changing landscape as it went from little Koreatown, to little Mexico town, to little Sarajevo and then to little arabia. The street corners were filled with sidewalk vendors of all kinds - fresh prepared coconuts to men's underwear and everything in between. The weather was beautiful.

We went to Guerney Mills, the largest indoor outlet mall in America. It has an indoor skating rink and a carousel and every outlet you can think of. We shopped almost til we dropped and then I hemmed pants for K while she cooked a delicious dinner.

No comments: